October 5, 2018

Free TNG season 1 admiral jacket pattern!

As you've probably seen from my TNG season 1 admiral uniform analysis, blog post documenting the jacket, and TNG season 1 admiral jacket video tour, I got a lot of mileage out of the screen-used Admiral Jameson uniform I examined recently.

Free TNG season 1 admiral jacket pattern


In addition to measuring every edge, every nook and cranny of the costume, I actually extrapolated a sewing pattern from it, using a technique I learned from a book called 101 Sewing Secrets from the Singer Sewing Reference Library.
101 Sewing Secrets - Singer Reference Library

Basically, this process entails pinning or hand-basting a layer of muslin to the garment and lightly tracing the seam lines, pleats, etc. with a pencil.

Free TNG season 1 admiral jacket pattern!


I did this for every single piece of the jacket!

Free TNG season 1 admiral jacket pattern!


I transferred my muslin pattern to my dot-and-cross pattern-drafting paper, "true-ing" all the seam lines with the various rulers needed and double-checking everything for accuracy.

Free TNG season 1 admiral jacket pattern!


Then, I added all the appropriate seam/hem allowances to the appropriate edges and traced the pattern onto the large pieces of paper we usually use for our (Bad Wolf Costumes) sewing patterns. 

Luckily for all of you, I play a lot of Tetris (no really, I do!), and I managed to cram every pattern piece onto a single 36” x 48” page!

Free TNG season 1 admiral jacket pattern!


I've since had it scanned at my local copy/print shop, cleaned it up, and digitally labeled it, so it's all ready to go! 

You can download my extrapolated pattern here for free. 

The pattern is a large-format PDF, 36" x 48" black/white. Unless you have a large format printer, you'll need to take it to your local copy/print shop to have it printed.

A few notes on the pattern draft:

  • The finished garment measures approximately 40” around the chest and 33-34” around waist.

  • The grain lines indicate the crossgrain, not the straight grain! Use the horizontal “weave” of the jumbo spandex as a guide.

  • For your convenience, I standardized the seam allowances: ½” everywhere, except for ¾” at the upper back/back yoke and 1" for the zipper. (The seam allowances on the original, screen-used jacket were all over the place.)

  • I reduced sleeve hem allowance to an even 2”. The body hem allowances are the same as on the original, though.

  • I used the same pattern piece for both sleeves and sleeve inserts. (On the original, screen-used jacket, the sleeves and sleeve inserts were slightly different sizes.)

  • Patterning this particular jacket was a bit more difficult than usual because of all the pleats, but I still managed to get really close! Just allow for a little bit for “human error!”


There seems to be a decent amount of interest in this costume - more than I expected, anyway - so I've decided to go ahead and do a graded (Bad Wolf Costumes) pattern for this, using this extrapolated pattern as a base, and it should be ready soon.

In the mean time, though, I hope you enjoy this free pattern! My TNG season 1 admiral sewing tutorial will follow soon after the (BWC) pattern, and you should be able to use it with this pattern, too!

Subscribe to my "Costume Guide" e-mail newsletter (upper right) if you haven't already for updates and other goodies!


8 comments:

  1. Just thought I'd point out that you can print a large pdf like this in tiles. Just select "poster" in your printing options.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo, I didn't even know this was possible! Thanks!

      Delete
  2. OCD, you are amazing! Thank you for all the hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Jane. I am claiming it as a birthday present that I love. I am going to create this soon! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grading this pattern is going to be a BEAR of a job. I need a size 48. Definitely going to be a challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it's a good thing I decided to go ahead and do a graded pattern, then! And yes, it WAS a challenge!

      Delete